I've heard this said before and it really irks me. Comments like this are evidence that engineers don't get any respect even though they arguably perform some of the most important functions in our technologically based society. Engineers make your current lifestyle possible.
- Your house? An engineer designed it to keep it strong and to protect you from the elements.
- You start you car... Engineers designed it to work and get you around while coddling you.
- You go to work and turn on your computer designed by engineers which runs on software designed by engineers.
- Your medicine gets to you thanks to engineers who figure out how to manufacture and package it.
- That movie you watch is a great experience thanks in part to engineers who have made it realistic.
- Your MP3 player?... You get the picture, or should I say you get the song?
Of course, this is just a sampling, and surely it's an oversimplification, but it's about time engineers get credit. I have to admit that I'm a little biased because I used to be an engineer and my father is a retired one. Think about the fact that doctors get credit for saving lives, but it's a civil engineers get no credit whatsoever. One mistake by a doctor and one person dies; one mistake by a civil engineer and thousands could die. In the automotive world, an engineer developing air bags potentially saves thousands of lives over time, accident-by-accident.
Remember that engineers are people who have completed math courses beyond calculus, and they have passed many a physics course. Only a small percentage of the population can do this. All that I ask is that you give engineers the respect they deserve. They make your life safer, more fun, and more convenient. So what if some of them are nerdy?